In response to a record dry spring, MMWD is teaming up with other members of the Sonoma-Marin Saving Water Partnership—the nine North Bay cities and water districts that use Russian River water—to promote voluntary conservation this summer through the “20 Gallon Challenge.” The goal is to encourage every individual to reduce their water use by 20 gallons per day. By challenging ourselves to cut back on our water use, we can all help save for a rainy day . . . or rather a not-so-rainy day.
Saving 20 gallons a day can be as simple as installing aerators on kitchen and bathroom faucets and turning off the tap while tooth brushing. Fix a leaking toilet to save 30 gallons. Reduce irrigation time by two minutes or eliminate one irrigation cycle per week and you’ll save 100!
Visit 20gallons.org for more water conservation ideas. Take the pledge to reduce your water use by 20 gallons a day and you could win a high-efficiency clothes washer, water-wise landscape design, graywater system or other great prize.
How dry was this spring? From January-May 2013, MMWD recorded just 5.15 inches of rainfall at Lake Lagunitas, compared to an average of 32.82 inches for the same period, based on rainfall records dating back 135 years. On average, about 75 percent of our annual water supply comes from rainfall captured in the district’s seven reservoirs. The remaining 25 percent is imported from the Russian River under an agreement with the Sonoma County Water Agency.
Thank you for doing your part to help conserve our water supply!