The Marin Municipal Water District has released its 2013 Annual Water Quality Report, which shows, once again, that the water provided by MMWD meets—and in fact surpasses—all state and federal health regulations.
MMWD takes numerous steps to ensure that the drinking water we deliver to customers is of high quality, from managing and protecting our watershed lands, to employing proven treatment methods, to vigilant monitoring. Each year MMWD conducts over 120,000 water quality tests from watershed to faucet.
About 75 percent of our water supply comes from rainfall collected in seven reservoirs on Mt. Tamalpais and in west Marin. The remaining 25 percent is imported under a contract with the Sonoma County Water Agency.
MMWD reports the water quality information annually in compliance with requirements established by the California Department of Public Health and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The state and federal regulations require drinking water suppliers to test for 125 contaminants and to include in the report the test results for any contaminants found and at what levels. The regulations encompass both primary standards for contaminants that affect health and secondary standards for contaminants that affect the odor, taste and appearance of the water.
In the past, we mailed the full water quality report to approximately 110,000 Marin residents and businesses. Beginning this year, new regulations permit MMWD to distribute the report electronically, which will help the district save postage and printing costs and reduce our impact on the environment by using less paper.