The Marin Municipal Water District has released its 2012 Annual Water Quality Report, which shows, once again, that the water provided by MMWD meets, and in fact surpasses, all state and federal health regulations. The report is available in print and online in both English and Spanish.
The water quality information is reported annually in compliance with requirements established by the California Department of Public Health and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and as a policy of MMWD to inform our customers of the contents of their drinking water and water quality standards.
State and/or federal regulations require drinking water suppliers to test for 125 contaminants and to include in the report the test results for any contaminants found and at what levels. The regulations encompass both primary standards for contaminants that affect health and secondary standards for contaminants that affect the odor, taste and appearance of the water. Each year MMWD conducts over 120,000 water quality tests from watershed to faucet.
About 75 percent of the district’s water supply comes from rainfall collected in seven reservoirs on Mt. Tamalpais and in west Marin. The remaining 25 percent is imported under a contract with the Sonoma County Water Agency.
In recognition of MMWD’s centennial anniversary this year, the cover of the report features a 1920 photo of Alpine Lake from our archives. MMWD received its charter on April 25, 1912, making it the first municipal water district in California. The construction of Alpine Dam between the summer of 1917 and the spring of 1919 was one of the first acts of the newly formed district.
We are currently mailing this year’s report to all of our approximately 60,000 customers in central and southern Marin as a bill insert. In addition, we recently sent the report in a special mailing to over 48,000 apartment dwellers and others who do not receive a water bill. Printed copies in English or Spanish also can be requested from the MMWD Water Quality Lab at (415) 945-1550.